This general template is a guide to help direct to appropriate services according to your child’s needs. This can also depend on the severity of the child diagnosis of a Learning Disability.

In order to access a service or agency, you must make a referral. Here is a list of services you can access according to your child’s age. This could depend on the severity of the Learning Disability.

This template refers to a child who exhibits signs of a learning disability.

With consultation with the current school your child attends, the school team and parent can determine appropriate steps to access appropriate assessments to determine a possible diagnosis of a learning disability.

Depending on severity of symptoms and signs a recommendation for an initial assessment may not be made until ages 8 – 9 years/grade 3.

An Educational and Psychological assessment can be accessed through the current school board or privately.

However, the tiered intervention process may begin at a much earlier age to support student academic and/or social learning success.

Your child’s symptoms may warrant additional referrals to community agencies/resources and/or medical specialists such as:

Junior Kindergarten – High School

At this time, your child may require an initial assessment to determine if in fact your child has a Learning Disability. Below is a list of agencies that your child may access at this age depending on their needs. If you are not already involved with an agency, please keep in mind that waiting lists exist and a referral should be made as soon as possible.

High School – Adulthood

Once a diagnosis of Learning Disability has been confirmed depending on the severity and inpact of the Learning Disability, additional services and/or support may be available and recommended.

It is imperative that you contact the college of choice or university six months to one year prior to attending to a post secondary facility to ensure appropriate possible services/assistive technology/supports are all in place for your ongoing success.

Adult services:

  • Updated assessments may be required to support future adult programs/education post secondary. Please consider wait lists when requesting an updated assessment.
  • Referrals will be needed to adult services to support the transition to adult services and supports.
  • Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Ontario Disability Employment Support program
  • Ontario March of Dimes/Job Connect/Connection D’Emploi
  • Other appropriate Associations depending on your youth/young adult’s diagnosis
  • With a doctor’s referral, specialized assessments may be accessed through pediatric centres and hospitals

Current school can support the transition to support the young adult with a Learning Disability into post secondary education and / or community adult support services, i.e.: IEP transition plan at age 14 years.

Severity of the Learning Disability will determine appropriate next steps and community services to transition to adult life.